The Bitseed Namcoin DNS Server Edition of the Bitseed Personal Server is a pre-configured DNS Server with Namcoin .bit resolution. The Server uses open source software developed by the okTurtles Foundation. The key elements are:
- Namecoin – stores names and associated addresses
- DNSChain – resolves names on the blockchain, and forwards standard DNS requests to the legacy DNS system
- PowerDNS – a widely used open source DNS server
Using the Server
- Plug it in to power and network
- Allow a few hours for namecoin blockchain to sync
- Identify the server IP address via your router control panel, and have the router assign a fixed IP
- Add the router ip address to the DNS lookup fields on the ipv4 home network/wifi settings of your computers and wifi devices.
- Browse normally. Test by going to okturtles.bit. All other standard addresses will work normally
- Automatically resolves namecoin .bit address locally on the device.
- Automatically forwards all other legacy DNS requests to the Google public DNS server 18.104.22.168
- Just plug it into your router with the ethernet cable provided. It will start up and be ready to go once Namecoin is synchronized – usually with 15 minutes.
- No display monitor needed.
- Low Power – uses less than 10 watts (about 1/10 of a typical PC).
- OS is Arch Linux
- Room to expand. 160GB hard drive will support years of blockchain growth.
This is version is Alpha stage of development and is intended to be used by developers. It not recommended for critical applications.
|CPU||AllWinner A20 SoC, 1 GHz ARM Cortex A7 Dual Core|
|GPU||OpenGL ES2.0, OpenVG 1.1, Mali 400 Dual Core|
|Storage||120GB, 320GB, or 1TB GB HDD
4 GB NAND Flash
Internal microSD slot
|Network Interface||Ethernet 1 Gbps|
|USB||2 x USB host, 1xUSB OTG|
|LED Indicators||Power, Activity|
|Operating System||Ubuntu 14.04 (Linaro)|
|Blockchain Client||Bitcoin Core (latest stable release at time of shipping)|
|Dimensions||7 x 4 x 2 inches|
|Case Material||Laser-cut acrylic top and bottom. Open sides.|
- Bitseed Personal Server
- Namecoind v??? installed with up-to-date blockchain synchronized
- DNSChain v 0.5 installed
- PowerDNS pdns-recursor v ??? installed
- AC Power adapter
- Cat5 Ethernet Cable